Wow, did these three months go by quickly! It feels like it’s been forever since I called Korea home, and it’s only been 90 days! Which, I mean, Romeo and Juliet met, fell in love, married, and died in a shorter amount of time, so I guess it’s not that short.
Anyway, it’s been a crazy three months! I knew it’d be a bit crazy when I planned everything, but, yeah, definitely a lot faster than I’d prefer to travel. I’m actually quite excited to have downtime at home with my family where I’ve already celebrated Thanksgiving and will celebrate Christmas.
Let me see if I can backtrack and let you guys know all about my travel these last three months!
I actually left Korea on September 1st and landed back home September 2nd exactly where I had a nice week to relax at home, cuddle with my dog, and hang out with my family.
The biggest shocker of being home was discovering my sister of all people, is a Settlers of Catan fan! I like board games, and I’d played this back in Mokpo once before, but my sister is, like, the last person on earth I’d expect to like them. But she, her boyfriend, and I spent one weekend just playing game after game. She won most of the time haha, but I did manage to win once.
From there I drove up to NYC to pick-up my friend, Sher, before we went to Finger Lakes for TBEX. Now, let me just set the scene because I don’t think you understand what a feat this was for me.
- I drove to freaking Manhattan. It’s not like Sher lives around NYC, like in a suburb nearby. She lives in the city, so I had to go through the Hudson Tunnel.
- I’m a terrible driver. Like, I do no favors to breaking stereotypes against women or Asian drivers. When I suggested driving my grandma’s car, which is a newer version of my old car, my mom just laughed.
- The car that I learned to drive in and until now was the only car I’ve ever felt comfortable driving, was long gone. I actually drove my brother’s car, which I’d only driven once before making the trek up to NYC.
- It. Was. Raining!
- I had to parallel park. Sher had to come out and help navigate me into the spot, but, still, we did it!
Anyhow, we hung out in NYC for a day before driving out to Corning, and the conference was fun. It was cool meeting everyone and going to the different talks!
Providence kind of acted like my home base in between my trips because I left my car here. I got to spend a bunch of time with one of my best friends, Corinne, and her boyfriend, Segun. I mean, if we’re being really honest, it’s also home to my favorite cat living at the moment, the magnificent Kittan, and I try to see her as often as possible. (KIDDING, kind of :p)
Anyhow, shout out to them for letting me crash as often as I did! I wish I could tell you guys I took advantage of the fall foliage around Rhode Island and visited Newport, but, uh, I spent most of my time in sweatpants.
I spent a full week hanging out in Vancouver to visit my friends, Maggie and Nathalie. It was also my first time in Canada! I don’t even think I’d flown through one of their airports before.
From Vancouver, I flew down to New Orleans to tag along on a press trip with my friend, Rachel for her blog, Hippie in Heels. We had about 3 days, plus I wound up having an extra 2 with the way my flights worked.
NOLA is a really cool city, and we got to see so much of it! Don’t worry if you don’t drink or party — neither of us drank much or partied, and we still had a lot of fun.
Bus Life in Oregon
Doing a total 180, I flew from sunny NOLA to Oregon, where fall was in full swing. I had a few days in Portland and then I joined my friends, the Hedgers, on their bus for 2 1/2 weeks. We went from Portland to Mt. Hood and all along the Oregon coast. I then left them in Eugene. I have a few posts I want to write about that fun trip, but for now here’s a fun list of all the van life essentials I needed!
I had a short week in Providence to re-pack and recharge before going to Florida for a fun itinerary that started with a bachelorette party and ended with a press trip with Kissimmee!
After housesitting in Providence for the weekend, I drove home where I’ve been since! I have one little trip down to see my friend, Elissa, in DC this weekend, but otherwise, I’m fully content to relax indoors. It’s cold, my dog is extra snuggly, and I’m not in a hurry to visit anywhere until next year!
What I’ve Been Reading
I just got a [amazon_textlink asin=’B00QJE3MGU’ text=’Kindle’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’dd79d57b-f337-11e8-99c3-3b618217a28c’] at Black Friday, so I’m really reading like crazy now! You can see my full list from my Book Challenge here.
- [amazon_textlink asin=’0553213148′ text=’Anne of Avonlea’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4ac70373-f336-11e8-a89e-ff668e924a01′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1476789649′ text=’The Luckiest Girl Alive’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’536ce963-f336-11e8-93a3-376be370f80b’]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1501132954′ text=’The Woman in Cabin 10′ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’693059e6-f336-11e8-9ba6-6dc4b7fe2ace’]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1477807616′ text=’Last Train to Istanbul’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’719629f9-f336-11e8-a6ff-b7efab69d62d’]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1402289006′ text=’Anne of the Island’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’89358628-f336-11e8-b3e2-dd02b723fa73′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’0385341008′ text=’The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9369d480-f336-11e8-9cf7-6339e4157938′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1501169033′ text=’The Map of Salt and Stars’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9a7bd3c3-f336-11e8-a79a-eb3bfaa239a1′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’1542045894′ text=’The House by the River’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’thereshegoesa-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a1620882-f336-11e8-bee2-9fde0679da5a’]
What I’ve Been Watching
- Big Mouth Season 2 (so weird and funny)
- Shameless (always classic)
- Crazy Rich Asians (I cried I was so happy)
- Haunting of Hill House (I cried I was scared and then I was so sad)
- Catching up on all my TV shows — Modern Family, American Housewife, Black-ish, This is US, Speechless… So many haha
Yeah, life’s been a bit crazy! I’m more than happy slowing things down for a little while as I catch up and plan for the new year though.
What are you guys up to?