#Korea is a weekly series on my blog documenting my time leading up to and during to my year in Korea. It’s very much unedited, stream-of-conscious writing! Check out the original post for a longer explanation here
WEEKS 25-27: SEPTEMBER 24TH – OCTOBER
Okay, so there’s not really an excuse to not have updated the last 3 weeks. I literally had a whole week off from teaching, so I can’t really use a busy schedule as an excuse.
Truthfully, I’ve been in a bit of a fog. It happens from time to time, so it was actually good I had the week to sort of get it together. Does that ever happen to you? Sometimes you’re fine and organized and #adulting, and then out of nowhere, you can barely bring yourself to go to the grocery store even though it’s literally right outside your door and you desperately need something to eat.
I can’t even tell you what triggers it. Sometimes I read a good book, watch a good movie, or hear a particularly good song, and it puts me in a funk. A lot of times, it’s something going on in the news. Other times, it just kind of happens out of nowhere. I always think it’s part of being 25 and not quite knowing where I’m going in life.
I’m better now, and this last week was the start of the 4th quarter, so it was kind of like a fresh start for my classes instead of me trying to pick up where the last teacher left off. I had 4 new classes added to my schedule, and I’m actually kind of excited to see where they take me. I’m kind of determined to teach my elementary students phonics now that I have more control over my classroom and I’m only teaching to maybe 10 kids at once vs. 30. We’ll see how it goes. If you have any tips, let me know!
Otherwise… What have I been up to since my last update?
- I met up with a friend of a friend one weekend! She was traveling through Korea, and our mutual friend, Maggie, put us in touch. I met up with her in Gwangju and then she visited Suncheon and we went to the Bay. It was my first time back since I visited over two years ago.
- I also met up with my friend who used to be my co-teacher since she was home in Suncheon for Chuseok. I took her to this juice cafe that I now LOVE and can get to on my own.
- I made my own peanut butter (and now almond butter). It’s seriously so easy, I can’t believe I haven’t tried it before. And it’s tasty. I don’t normally crave peanut butter and a jar can last me a while, but I feel like if I had less self-control, I’d just take a spoon and eat the whole thing. (Okay, I’ve definitely taken a spoon and just eaten some of it *cough*). My goal is to try Nutella next since the actual kind you buy in the store is horrible for you (and includes palm oil, which I’m starting to try and avoid if I can help it).
- I’m now at the end of Season 6 of the “The Good Wife.” Let me just say, Season 5 is probably the highlight of the whole damn show, isn’t it? Just… SO MUCH HAPPENED. I think I like the episodes when everything in the office seems to turn totally chaotic like when *spoilers* Will + Diane find out the 4th years are leaving and this season during the email hacks.*spoilers* Also, Alan Cummings is amazing as Eli Gold. The fact that he never actually won an award for his role is a travesty.
- Writing blog posts. I know it doesn’t seem like I churn out a lot of content, which I don’t, but I’ve been busy writing different blog posts! I get kind of distracted so I work on different posts little by little. And of course, I’m contributing two posts a month to The Department of Wandering.
- I started updating my Instagram again. If you’re not following, check it out! If you’ve noticed my engagement is insanely low, probably from total inactivity for a month. I don’t know. I just decided to not worry about it and instead focus on the actual reasons I like Instagram — photography and studying how others compose and edit their shots!
Some other things I’m loving:
- Just watched Before Sunrise, and it’s just so lovely. Simple and lovely and full of incredible dialogue. I’m going to savor it for a bit and then dive into the sequels.
- I also watched Up in the Air, and I don’t know how I feel about it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s really, really good. But another part of me feels like I could easily turn into George Clooney’s character, and I’m not sure I like that thought…
- ASMR! I know I said I was intrigued by it in my last update, and now I fully love it. I started listening with headphones, and it’s a total game changer. It’s seriously so relaxing once you find the kind of sounds you like. I don’t like listening to people whisper a lot, so I go for ones that are sound-only. I mean just listen to this with headphones, and don’t tell me it’s not pleasant.
- Currently listening to All the Light We Cannot See on Audible. They now offer 2 free books, which is better than the 1 when I originally signed up! I already have a feeling this book is going to make me cry…
- Also, I found a Spain playlist I made of all the songs we heard a lot while clubbing during my study abroad, and now I’m on a Latin music fix. There was this one club I liked because it played Latin music instead of just techno or EDM, so a lot of the songs are from there. Also, I’ve been super obsessed with “Hey Ma,” both versions of “Mi Gente,” “Havana,” and the “Reggaetón Lento” remix.
What have you been up to?