Okay, so I totally had my April post drafted and ready to go but then the days kind of got the best of me, and before I knew it, it was May 19th! I figured I’d just wait and share everything in one long two-month update instead of posting April so late.
April and May are two of my favorite months in Korea with October and November! All the flowers start blooming, the weather gets warmer without getting too humid, and I just want to spend all day outside even if my allergies want to kill me!
I’ve also been busy almost every weekend. The last two months have been a bit of a roller coaster with goodbyes, new hellos, bad news, happy news, and everything in between.
Here’s a quick rundown:
I actually went up with some Namwon friends to Jeonju for church and Easter celebrations. It was lovely being around friends old and new and eating delicious food! Our hosts, Shannon and Mark, made some seriously delicious Cape Malay dishes for dinner, and I whipped up my sweet potato “brulee.”
I spent the weekend in Yeosu with the Hedgers! Stephanie and I originally had a photo shoot planned, but our client had to cancel last minute due to some transportation issues. We popped over to Stephanie’s school entrance to takes some photos instead and then relaxed the rest of the day.
Sunday morning we went to Hadong, hoping to catch some cherry blossoms along Hwagae. Sadly, the rain we had during the week really did wipe them all away! Even the tea fields were an odd brown color.
Luckily we found some random pear blossom orchards, so we had fun taking photos and wandering around them!
I went down to Yeosu again this weekend for the Hedgers’ going away. We were meant to all go to Gwangju, but with last-minute cancellations and generally crummy weather, we decided to hang around Yeosu! It was actually a really fun night with Korean BBQ, some very interesting photos, and some not so successful drinking games :p
Since I didn’t have to work until 3 on Friday, I went down to Yeosu Thursday night to help Stephanie film a little still motion for their goodbye video! Take a look below and let me know how we did.
Saturday I completely vegged! I just needed a day where I stayed in my PJs all day, watched TV, and slept. Sunday afternoon I went back for one last goodbye dinner with the Hedgers. We went out for gamjatang and bingsu, and then tried not to cry as we parted! We’ve really become close this last year, and Stacey and I joke they’ve been like our Korean parents. It’s definitely just a “See you later” since I’m going to join them on their US road trip later this year, but still!
During the week Stacey and her friend, Mystique, met me in Suncheon to visit the Suncheon Bay Garden! Stacey and I had gone last week with our Korean friends, and we thought Mystique would enjoy the area while she was visiting from South Africa!
Then I went down to Yeosu (again, I know!) Friday night into Saturday. We spent Saturday morning visiting Hyangiram on Dolsan Island and then the afternoon around Angel Alley.
I popped back home and went back for a lil Sunday BBQ on a more secluded beach out near Yeocheon, and it was just a nice, chill sunny afternoon! We’re planning on going back in the summer so we can go swimming.
Three day weekend! This year’s holiday schedules are a bit of a bummer actually. Children’s Day weekend is the only long weekend I have until the end of my contract! Usually, there’s at least a 4-day weekend sometime between May and June!
Anyway, I celebrated by going up to Seoul! I don’t have to be at work until 7 pm on Tuesdays, so I could actually stretch it out a bit and go straight to work Tuesday from the train.
I had a blast in Seoul! I stayed with Nicole, who I haven’t had a chance to meet IRL until now. We hit it off quite well, and we met up with Marie from Be Marie Korea and my friend, Autumn. I finally got to tick some things I’ve been wanting to do off my list as well and just enjoy my favorite city, including visiting the trendy cafes of Stylenanda and Zapangi.
This weekend I went to Busan! Well, Yongwon technically, but we were in Busan both Saturday and Sunday. I stayed with my friends, Kayley and Mark, and we went around Gamcheon, Nampo-dong, and Haedong Yongungsa. They also took me to dinner at this bar in where I may have gotten too excited by all the Western options…
Autumn came down to visit Suncheon, so we decided to go to the garden (my third-time :p) and then to Boseong Tea fields on Sunday. Stacey joined us and drove, which was a lot less hassle than figuring out the bus.
The rest of the month I just relaxed! All these busy weekends had me exhausted, so I basically just slept through one weekend and ordered chicken to eat. :p
What I’ve Been Reading
- Greater Journey to Paris* – I’m going to be honest this is so incredibly boring to listen to. It’s just a history rundown of artists who found themselves in Paris, and I don’t really even know why I got it! I found myself putting it on like 2x speed and zoning out, so I just gave up.
- All Over the Place* – Still reading! I’m actually almost done. I’m just so bad at taking time to read instead of just listening to Audible or a podcast.
- Happy Cow* – My friend, Sher, recommended this to me, so I used one of my credits to buy it. It’s a pretty funny account of a jaded expat in India who left hating it years before. She goes around experiencing all the different religions, and it’s pretty interesting!
- Astonish Me* – I can’t believe I listened to this in 24 hours! I was in the mood for something a little melodramatic after the two memoirs, and this has been on my Audible wishlist for a while, so I thought why not? It’s pretty good. The writing is beautiful, but the ultimate plot and storyline… I dunno. It felt like I was being primed for a really emotional, dramatic fallout that never came or was skipped over, so I feel like I was robbed of the catharsis you’re supposed to get…
- Left Right Game – Um, I read this in afternoon, and at the end, someone pointed out it was the length of a novel. My friend, Autumn, sent to me and said it might be the best story she’s read this year, and I’m inclined to agree. Go read it on Reddit, and let me know what you think!
- A Fighting Chance* – Next on my Audible list! I love Elizabeth Warren, so it’s fun learning more about her life and how her career led her to being one of the most recognizable senators today.
- A Handmaid’s Tale* – I know, I kind of can’t believe I haven’t read this until now. I started it one night when I couldn’t sleep and was ten chapters in before I knew it!
What I’ve Been Watching
- “Brooklyn 99″* – This show is SO funny and just good. I really didn’t think I was going to grow attached to it, but I did, and then when I finished Season 3, they announced Fox was canceling it (only for NBC to pick it back up!). Definitely 10/10 recommend, especially if you like shows like “Parks + Rec.”
- “The Handmaids Tale”* – Guys, I think season 2 might be even better than season 1. It’s so good, and I’m constantly waiting for Wednesday when I can watch it.
- “Madam Secretary”* – I rewatched the last season, and I think I’m going to save the new season for when I’m home. I’ve always loved this show, and it’s still so solid without getting too dramatic or preachy.
- Michelle Wolf’s WHCD Roast – Amazing. What’s even more amazing is how many people on the Internet don’t know what a smoky eye is.
- “One Day at a Time”
- “New Girl” last season – I didn’t even know this was back, and now it’s over! Such a funny, lovely way to wrap up the series. Also Ruth Schmidt is amazing, and I’m sad we only got her for one season!
What I’ve Been Listening to
- Cherry blossom k-pop songs :p
- Black Panther soundtrack
- Bibia Be Ye Ye by Ed Sheeran
- Babe by Sugarland + Taylor Swift
- Old School Tay Tay
- I Am Free by CalledOutMusic
- Why Won’t You Be My Girl? by Willian Hinson
- Sweet Arizona by East Love
- Messy by Kiara
- If You’re Over Me by Years & Years
- Nervous by Shawn Mendes
- This is America by Childish Gambino
- Girls Like You ft. Cardi B by Maroon 5
- Sangria Wine by Camilla Cabello and Pharrell
- This whole throwback playlist on Spotify
What’s Been On the Blog:
- How to Visit the Hwagae Cherry Blossom Festival (Updated My Old Guide)
- How to Spend 2 Weeks in Korea: 4 Sample Itineraries
- 33 Beautiful Photos to Inspire You to Visit Taiwan
- How to Spend 3 Days in Edinburgh
- Where to Stay in New York City
- Suncheon Bay Garden: How to Visit
- How to Spend 2 Weeks in Taiwan
- Zapangi Cafe: The Pink Vending Machine Cafe
- Boseong Green Tea Fields (Massive Update!)
- 13 Free Things to Do in Seoul
- An Easy Stonehenge Day Trip
Anyhow, that’s all that’s new with me! Can’t believe we’re down the last 3 months in Korea! What’s new with you?
want to support?
I’m always grateful when friends and readereach out wanting to support There She Goes Again. Truthfully, I’m just happy my posts are helping people travel! If you’d like to support the blog, here are some companies and brands I’m affiliated with. Simply click the links, and I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you!
- Booking (Hotels)
- Bookaway (Transport)
- Sixt (Car Rental)
- Klook (Tours)
- Viator (Tours)
- Get Your Guide (Tours)
- Trazy (Korea Tours)
- Tiqets (Entrance Tickets)
- World Nomads (Insurance)
BLOGGING / SOCIAL MEDIA